Saturday, May 30, 2009

An UnSeelie Queen

Just a dark and whimsical thing I'm playing around with. There are a few places I think need some serious changes, but eh, I'm fairly pleased with it thus far. Aikido tomorrow?! Maybe?

I

a fairy hand in hand
brought me to distant land
through hedge and maze
she enchanted me to dulling haze

but when i arrived i was to find
no glimmering hills and silver mines
on me she was to place a curse
bind me in chains of eternal thirst

this fey of old, a witch truth be told
my pleas were in vain to this faery bold
cruel I thought this effigy to be
little did i know what more was for me

looking me eye to eye her enchanted
words that sang like the lost romantic
"I've saved you little child,
plucked you from city roads,
to our magical land of wild.
The worlds more full of weeping,
but you shall come to understand,
forever you'll walk our wondrous land."
And with that I stopped my squeaking.

II

Ages past dark and fast
I, and my fey mistress one at last
No longer did I protest
Even though she, I did detest
But shadowed had my heart grown
no weeping felt I for snatched bone
of lost children astray in escape.

Most across the darkened moor
left in haunting from ancient war
fell entrapped to muddy flat
till swamp beasts found them,
made them snack

Some did make it to the loch
The one full of hunger and lacking a dock
Tempted and frantic they jump in
and it's true, some reach the end
but most find Churan lurking in bubble
and their feet he'll grab, then comes trouble
for if he hungers, they'll sink without struggle
those lucky few, who avoid such a view
are only met with more bad news.

For across the water lay further horror
there stands the hedge itself: road to tomorrow
but you see, and listen my friend:
a maze of sorrow and though no beast lurks within
Each briar and thorn full of confusion and scorn
a prick or a scratch and your world will be torn

the will to go on will slip and will slide
soon you'll grow sleepy, first body, then mind,
and without thought, your journey will halt
as you slump down; down against verdant stalk
there you will stay, for forever and a day
sleeping there peacefully, dreaming your life away
Pleasant dreams will of course be yours
But one day the sleep will be gone
and you'll be left with wrinkled face and aching bone

Remember nothing of time gone past
wander the maze a hobbling, stuttering mass
Unless you return to your fairy queen
there she'll take you back and dust off the vines
invite you to dinner and offer some wine

And you'll love her forever
for forgiving your fate
only to discover a bit too late
she's laid you upon a silver streaked plate

jason

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the first part, it was excellent though some of the lines did seem to need some work with their rhythm.

    ReplyDelete