Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fun poem

I had a lot of fun just trying to jam stuff together in this one. I like it. Still no update on MRI, assuming the doctor got the results yesterday, surely he would have called if he found something serious, right? Alas, who knows. I have an appointment with him Thursday if nothing else. I don't actually know what to call this poem, because I originally thought it would be a response to T.S. Eliot's Prufrock but I took on my own rambling in the middle of it, so, very inspired, and since I used a lot of references, I think I have to say it is a response to Eliot's work. I'm still in the imitation phase of writing it seems. I have ideas for other things coming up I think, one about a Muse, and another about Poetry in general. Ok here we go!

A Mad Man's Response to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.

The scene I change
but the scenery remains.
an Unreal City
of a different name.

An observation you once made
the dead fear no secrets,
how strange that for a living soul
the scariest tale is when truth be told?

I met two girls.
One insisted she was special.
A school for the gifted,
where only special people go,
had gifted her the paper that made it so.

The other a nightingale whom never sang,
twit twit
jug jug
so rudely force'd
from the time she
was two till ten
and at fourteen
made her own end.

I thought her the special one.
How could such a soul ever be undone?

Ophelia!
Ophelia!
No, and I am the wrong Lazarus.
And you, not her.
Another tragedy for which
the world does not stir.

And do I grow more apologetic
with approaching death?
Or proud of my bitterness,
that is I The Fates collect?

The trees stir!
Weeping. Weary. Writhing
like the swirl of grey
Reminding of the false overlay.

In my sleep I dreamt it so!
I felt myself pulled away.
My existence not needed,

no place for me
no place for me
no place
...but I'm still here?

Perhaps this not the end
if we woke to the sound
of mermaids near the beach,
singing for us; within our reach!

Wake now!
The voices,
do not drown!

They sing for you!
They sing for you!

Let us go then,
you and I!

1 comment: